As some of you may probably know, I have not had meat for over thirty days now, because of a no-meat Lenten pact we’ve got going at work.
Today’s book is something that has actually made the past few weeks a bit easier for me: The Doodles Diet by Deborah Zemke.
I found this book one day when I was in a bad mood because I happened to pass by a rotisserie and went weak from the wafting smell of golden roasted chicken and shiny cutlets of pork. I consoled myself by entering a book store, and luckily, there was a little bargain sale going on at one of my favorite National Book Store branches (Harrison Plaza, if you must know — awesome bargain section!) and I found this book… (and two more bags full, but who’s counting?!?).
It’s a highly interesting diet book with a few pages of text: tips for a successful diet (e.g. weigh yourself everyday, use smaller plates, beware of “low fat” foods, don’t deprive yourself, hydrate, etc); 100 calorie servings for dairy, veggies, fruit, meat/fish/poultry, bread/pasta, and drinks; how to burn 100 calories (see below); and tips for eating out (eat only half of what you order, eat soup, share dessert, avoid buffets).
The rest of the book is devoted to place mats– so you can draw instead of indulging! Across the top and side of the page, the book even shows you the basic lines and shapes you need to draw a particular type of food.
I’ve been having fun with the book because I’ve been meaning to get back into drawing for over a year now, and so far this is the only thing that has gotten me to draw.
Here are some pages I’ve done:
It’s such an awesome book!
I want to share the fun, so I’m giving away my extra copy of The Doodles Diet.
Here’s how you can win a copy of this book.
1. The raffle is open to all blog readers with a Philippine mailing address.
2. To enter the raffle, tell me why you want to win this giveaway in the comments section of this post.
3. Entries will be accepted until Sunday, April 17, 6 pm, Manila time.
4. One raffle entry per email address, per person (in other words one entry per person). I will reply to your entry in the comments section to validate it, and I reserve the right to weed out suspicious entries.
5. One lucky winner will be drawn via Random.org. Winner will be announced here within three days after the end of the entry period. Random.org screenshot will accompany the announcement of the winners.
6. An email will also be sent to the winner to request his or her (Philippine) mailing address. The prize will be packaged securely and sent via a local courier, unless I will be seeing the winner anytime soon (e.g. FFP book discussion, FBB meetup, quiz night, geek fight or whatnot).
The raffle officially opens as soon as this post is up.
The Doodles Diet, paperback, 5/5 stars
book #39 for 2011