The winner, to be awarded on National Children’s Book Day on July 21, will receive a cash prize of P25,000, a gold medal and an opportunity to be published.
The mechanics are as follows:
- The contest is open to all Filipino citizens except those who are related to any PBBY member up to the third degree of consanguinity.
- Entries must be based on the 2015 PBBY-Salanga Prize honorable mention winning story, The Missing Blanket by Cheeno Marlo Sayuno.Copies of these stories may be requested from the PBBY Secretariat or downloaded from the PBBY website.
- All entries must be original unpublished illustrations that have not won in any previous contest.
- All entries must consist of three (3) illustrations that are of the same size and medium. Entries do not have to be based on consecutive spreads/parts of the text.
- A contestant may send in more than one (1) entry.
- Each entry must be signed by a pen name only, preferably on a small piece of paper pasted on the back of each artwork. Entries with a signature or any identifying marks are automatically disqualified.
- Together with each entry, contestants must submit a separate envelope, on the face of which only the pen name of the contestant shall appear. The envelope must contain the contestant’s full name, address, contact numbers, short description of background, and notarized certification vouching for the originality of the entry and for the freedom of the organizers from any liability arising from the infringement of copyright in case of publication.
- All entries must be sent to the PBBY Secretariat, c/o Adarna House, 109 Scout Fernandez cor. Scout Torillo Sts., Quezon City by April 10, 2015.
- Winners will be announced no later than May 12, 2015. Non-winning entries must be claimed no later than June 13, 2014, after which they will no longer be the responsibility of the organizers.
For more details, interested parties may contact PBBY by calling 3526765 local 203 or emailing pbby [at] adarna.com.ph.
PBBY is a private, non-stock, non-profit organization committed to the development of children’s literature in the Philippines.
To those joining the Alcala Prize who are not yet members of Filipino children’s illustrators group Ang Ilustrador ng Kabataan (Ang INK), the organization is currently open for applications. Entry to the Alcala Prize is one of the requirements for the application.
(1) Portfolio Sample:
• Individual images should at least be 1000px on one side, 72 dpi, JPG or PNG.
• Compile all 5 of your works in 1 PDF. File should not exceed 7mb.
• PDF name should follow the format: INKAPP15-yourname-PORTFOLIO.
(2) Download “The Missing Blanket” by Cheeno Marlo Sayuno
• All entries must consist of three (3) illustrations that are of the same size and medium. Entries do not have to be based on consecutive spreads/parts of the text. You are not required to layout/include the text in your illustrations.
• Individual images should be 9”(h) x 14”(w), and should not be more than 72dpi, jpg or png.
• Compile ALL 3 images in ONE pdf. Total file size of the pdf should NOT exceed 5mb.
• PDF name should follow the format: INKAPP15-yourname-PBBY.
(3) Download and complete the application form http://tinyurl.com/INKAPP2015
Send all requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line APP2015_yourname.
DEADLINE: March 8, 2015, 11:59 PM
Membership fee for accepted members: P1,300 for professionals, P950 for students.